I must have a lot to do this year, because poof! here it is January 18th already and I haven't made time for a year in review post. So. Here it is...
For a lot of the year I posted solely to Facebook, and they have a great 2013 in review page. Nice to see all that... the pictures they picked for the page header are great choices; visiting Tuscany, seeing the Stones with Alex, visiting Ireland, and ... me, driving!
- Decompressed in Napa.
- Enjoyed dusk at Westlake (*still* my computer desktop)
- Loved Meg and Nico (Oaks Winter Formal)
- Danced with Meg at Oaks' Father-Daughter dance
- Printed 3D hearts for Valentine's Day
- Survived a tough break
- Enjoyed Raspberry Pi
- Marveled at the National Aquarium (while attending USCAP in Baltimore)
- Escaped from Saturn to the Venetian
- Adopted the future early, with Tesla!
- Rooted for DeeDee Jonrowe in the Iditarod
- Listened to Jonathon McEuen at a house party
- Thought "deeply" with MC Escher
- Turned Easter up to 11, with Spinal Tap :)
- Together with Samba Pa Ti at the Stonehaus
- Voyaged to Goteburg and Lund, in Sweden
Touched the sky at Mount Baldy
- Victorious, at Westlake Yacht Club
- Summitted Breathless Agony
- Cruised the Conejo (first time)
- Watched the Amgen Tour of California (and rode up to Palm Spring Tram!)
- Participated in Caltech Alumni Day (and debated the Higgs Boson)
- Rolled with the Stones, with Alex
- Crawled Dublin!
- Awed at the Cliffs of Moher
- Mystified by Glenveigh Castle
- Doubled up at the Eastern Sierra (206 miles, 11,120 feet)
- Toured Tuscany!
- Delighted by Florence... incredible
- First! under the bridge in the annual Round the Island
- Testing the spiffy new machine
- "Upgraded" to IOS 7 (on 7/7); like it less and less
- Pedaled along with the Tour de France up Mont Ventoux
- Survived the Tour de Big Bear (106 miles, 8,400 feet)
- Put on the Ritz, book launch party in Half Moon Bay
- Learned at Caltech Alumni College (on Translational Medicine)
- Cheered for Meg, cheering for the Oaks Lions
- Surfed with the Alien, Joe Satriani at the Canyon Club
- Tried not, printed
- Centered console ... makes me happy
- Did not forget, nor will I ever
- Rooted [hard!] for Chris Horner as he won the Vuelta at age 41
- Presented eyesFinder at the Tech Coast Angels Quick Pitch final
- Rode the Trona 353 (truncated from the Furnace Creek 508), and ...
- Wore the coveted Furnace Creek 508 jersey (at last)
- Attended the awesome La Jolla Art and Wine Festival
- Climbed Deer Creek, with friends
- Sailed the Trick or Treat regatta
- Blogged again (it's a new world!) and have not yet stopped...
- Enjoyed dinner at Third Corner, for the 1,000th time
- Traveled all over the world, with my browser
- Reunited with my family, most excellent (under less excellent circumstances)
- Visited the Iron Horse Train Museum in Sacramento
- Thanked the world for everything I have, which is too much
- Including my beautiful angels :)
- Lived in Gnome Man's land
- Celebrated my birthday, with a story (without a submarine :)
- Wondered at Spaceport Chicago (from the John Hancock, while attending RSNA)
- Introduced eyesFinder, and left Aperio / Leica (after twelve years)
- Selected the Coolest Photos of 2013
- Wallowed in Holiday spirit :)
- Wished everyone a Merry Christmas!
- Proudly flew my wine flag
- Welcomed 2014, and made a few resolutions
Correlation vs. Causality
The Tyranny of Email
Aperio's Mission = Automating Pathology
Try, or Try Not
Books and Wine
God and Beauty
Moving Mount Fuji
Rock 'n Roll
IQ and Populations
Are You a Bright?
The Joy of Craftsmanship
The Emperor's New Code
The Return of the King
Religion vs IQ
In the Wet
the big day
solving bongard problems
the nuclear option
On the Persistence of Bad Design...
Texas chili cookoff
the inflection point
almost famous design and stochastic debugging
may I take your order?
New Yorker covers
Death Rider! (da da dum)
how did I get here (Mt.Whitney)?
the Law of Significance
Daniel Jacoby's photographs
in praise of paddle shifting
the first bird
Gödel Escher Bach: Birthday Cantatatata
shining a light
Father's Day (in pictures)
your cat for my car
discovering the third quadrant
Jobsnotes of note
world population map
no joy in Baker