The saga of my laptop trouble continues... (Links to 1, 2, 3, 3.5, 4) Here are episodes 5, 4.5, 6, and 7...
Okay, here’s a quick update. I’m so upset I don’t know if I can make this funny.
First, you’ll remember that my laptop is completely dead, a week after this all started. I’ve made twelve calls to HP service in all that time, and they’ve called me zero times without first being prompted.
Okay, so it is now 12:42and I have not heard from HP service today. I did call this morning to lob in a “hey what’s happening” call, but I have not received a response.
I have spent the morning configuring a desktop machine here at my house so I can conduct business. Fortunately I am able to access the data from my laptop’s drive using an external USB housing so I have my Outlook PST file, my P4 work area, etc. However you guys have all had the experience of setting a machine up from scratch to have Office, Visual Studio, working VPN, etc., and it is time consuming. Sigh.
Anyway the only way they can make me happy now is to bring me a brand new laptop, and even then I’ll have lost a ton of time. Not good. Stay tuned for more…
This is out of order because I forgot. On Tuesday I was in the Vistaoffice without a working computer, so I decided to setup bach to use it for development. Bach already has “everything” installed, including Office and all the development tools, so this seemed like a shortcut. Only thing was, I had to create a new P4 client so I wouldn’t interfere with the nightly builds.
Well, turns out it did interfere with the nightly builds. I built some new versions of OCX files which conflicted. Poor Steven didn’t know what I was doing so on Wednesday he spent a couple of hours digging out – cleaning up registry entries etc. which were messed up because I had created a new development work area. So not only has this whole episode sapped my productivity, it has hurt Steven as well.
Not to mention all the time you guys have wasted reading these emails :)
Just talked to the dispatcher at HP, finally. The only tech they have available to send out is the guy who destroyed my laptop in the first place. Also, they don’t have one of the parts available (the top cover, which this tech cracked the first time he came out).
I asked that he not send this particular tech to me, and that he wait until he has all the parts before sending anyone out. So that won’t be today.
My expectations are so low, I don’t even mind not having my laptop anymore. I just want this all to stop so I don’t have to keep sending you guys email updates :)
Okay, we have a happy ending. Although the story is not over.
This morning I received a call from a completely new tech that was coming out to my house to repair the laptop, call him Rob. (That’s what he calls himself, too.) He wanted to make sure I’d be home and to see if the top cover had arrived. Well the top cover had not arrived – in fact, as of this writing, it still has not arrived – however I asked him to come out and repair the laptop anyway. Which he did.
Three hours later and after swapping the motherboard, CPU, heat sink, fan, and keyboard bracket, all is well. My laptop is running happily with a brand new spiffy display. I’ve been running nuclear algorithms on a large remote image to test everything out, and after a solid hour all is well. The new fan is even quieter than my old one.
Of course I still have a cracked top cover which has to be replaced, so there is plenty of scope for further disaster. Let’s hope Rob shows up to do it. Stay tuned :)
P.S. Oh yes, and now I have to copy everything back to my laptop and start using that as my main machine, so the productivity hit isn’t fully registered, either.
Continue to episode 8...