We are not going to say much about the UCLA game, okay? We're just... not. My bracket is a shambles, of course it was a flyer to pick a #6 to go all the way, and so be it. Meanwhile, there was some great basketball; I watched 'em all (at least partially):
- Villanova(3) blew out UCLA(6) - 89-69. Painful. I'm going to say FS=35:00*, and I mean it.
- Memphis(2) in a laugher over Maryland(10) - 89-79. Not fun to watch, FS=20:00+.
- UConn(1) steamrolled Texas A&M(9) - 92-66. Third straight demolition (fast forwarding a lot). FS=20:00+.
- Purdue(5) squeaked by Washington(4) - 76-74. Finally a good game, as the Huskies came back in the second half and kept it exciting to the end. FS=00:20.
- North Carolina(1) pulled away from LSU(8) - 84-70. A nice close game, with LSU thinking they could do it until about five minutes to go, when UNC pulled away cleanly. FS=05:00.
- Oklahoma(2) powers by Michigan(10) - 73-63. A really physical game, not pretty to watch... FS=03:00.
- Duke(2) grinds it out over Texas(7) - 74-69. The best game of the day, really well played. That save going out of bounds was the play of the tournament, and probably won it for Duke. FS=00:10.
- Gonzaga(4) wins at the buzzer over Western Kentucky(12) - 83-81. Close and evenly matched all the way, with a bank shot at the end to win it. The perfect end to Saturday's games. FS=00:00.
- Syracuse(3) handled Arizona State(6) - 78-67. Not pretty but it worked; Syracuse are pretty physical. Arizona State kept hanging around but had too many turnovers to win. FS=03:00.
- Xavier(4) over Wisconsin(12) - 60-49. A defensive struggle, with Xavier finally getting on track at the end. You kept thinking maybe Wisconsin could do it, but FS=02:30.
- Kansas(3) blew out Dayton(11) - 43-60. This game was really never in doubt. FS=12:00.
- Arizona(12) cleanly defeated Cleveland State(13) - 71-57. A match between two over-achievers, with Arizona looking like they belonged. I fear they won't be able to handle Louisville, but we'll see. FS=03:00.
- Pittsburgh(1) survived Oklahoma State(8) - 84-76. Much closer than anyone thought, a fun game. FS=01:00.
- Michigan State(2) overpowered USC(10) - 74-69. A close hard-fought battle, I was rooting for 'SC of course and they almost pulled it off. FS=00:30.
- Louisville(1) just nips Sienna(9) - 79-72. Seemed like Louisville was cruising but then Sienna caught them and made it really interesting before Louisville won the foul shot battle at the end. FS=00:15.
- Missouri(3) by a nose over Marquette(6) - 83-79. Only saw the end of this one, but it was great. FS=00:00.
* As before FS means "fridge score", the time at which the game is no longer in doubt.
And so pretty much the seeding ran to form, with only Arizona (a #12) a surprise amongst the sweet 16 teams (and I picked them to do it, yay me). A great great weekend of basketball, I don't know how it happened but the best games each day came at the end. And despite the crapload of commercials I do think CBS did a nice job of switching around; given they could only show one game at a time (!) they did pretty well.
See you next Thursday, same time, same channel!
Correlation vs. Causality
The Tyranny of Email
Aperio's Mission = Automating Pathology
Try, or Try Not
Books and Wine
God and Beauty
Moving Mount Fuji
Rock 'n Roll
IQ and Populations
Are You a Bright?
The Joy of Craftsmanship
The Emperor's New Code
The Return of the King
Religion vs IQ
In the Wet
the big day
solving bongard problems
the nuclear option
estimating in meatspace
On the Persistence of Bad Design...
Texas chili cookoff
almost famous design and stochastic debugging
may I take your order?
New Yorker covers
Death Rider! (da da dum)
how did I get here (Mt.Whitney)?
the Law of Significance
Daniel Jacoby's photographs
the first bird
Gödel Escher Bach: Birthday Cantatatata
Father's Day (in pictures)
your cat for my car
Jobsnotes of note
world population map
no joy in Baker
where are the desktop apps?