So last night I had a late long drive home - yes, I am still enjoying my little Dash, by the way, and it took me on a new route which didn't make any sense but only cost an extra 10 minutes - and I was really tired and struggling to stay awake. So I stopped a few times to get a Diet Coke, and I played LOUD MUSIC. My ears are still ringing, but I got home safely :)
Which leads to me ask the question - what bands sound the best loud? I had a great time randomly scanning my collection of 10,000 old rock songs to figure this out. Here's my short list of finalists, in ascending order of loudness:
- Europe. Seriously loud vocals laid over driving guitar. I recommend the Final Countdown, and Ready or Not.
- Rush. Oh yeah. Red Sector A will keep you awake.
- Black Sabbath. An oldie but goodie, pioneers of basting rock. Heaven and Hell is exhibit A.
- Deep Purple. One of my favorite bands from way back. Smoke on the Water has to make the list, but Highway Star is on top. Solid wall of sound.
- Van Halen. Of course, they must be on the list, for Jamie's Cryin if not Panama. Maxwell Jump is pretty good loud, too. In fact there is no Van Halen song which ins't great at volume.
- Threshold. Had to get a prog rock band on the list, right? Try Critical Mass for 13+ minutes of loudness.
- ZZTop. Imagine those boys swaying in unison, as you reach for the volume knob playing Under Pressure.
- Metallica. Listen to Unforgiven or Enter Sandman at volume, and you'll find the secret to the world.
- Def Leppard. Does their music sound great loud or what? The ultimate is Foolin', but I have to call out Rock of Ages for the classic "gunter gleiben glauten globen" beginning.
And out of all of this, my choice for the loudest band (the band whose music sounds best loud)... is...
- Styx. Really there is no content - Miss America, Lady, Too Much Time on My Hands, Man in the Wilderness... it all sounds fantastic at full volume. If you ever need to stay awake late at night, and you're fortunate to have a powerful stereo, Styx it is. And my very favorite really loud song is Castle Walls. Blam!
Your ears may disagree. Please, let me know what you think :)
Correlation vs. Causality
The Tyranny of Email
Aperio's Mission = Automating Pathology
Try, or Try Not
Books and Wine
God and Beauty
Moving Mount Fuji
Rock 'n Roll
IQ and Populations
Are You a Bright?
The Joy of Craftsmanship
The Emperor's New Code
The Return of the King
Religion vs IQ
In the Wet
the big day
solving bongard problems
the nuclear option
estimating in meatspace
On the Persistence of Bad Design...
Texas chili cookoff
almost famous design and stochastic debugging
may I take your order?
New Yorker covers
Death Rider! (da da dum)
how did I get here (Mt.Whitney)?
the Law of Significance
Daniel Jacoby's photographs
the first bird
Gödel Escher Bach: Birthday Cantatatata
Father's Day (in pictures)
your cat for my car
Jobsnotes of note
world population map
no joy in Baker
where are the desktop apps?